His older sister, Nhlanhla Yende, said his room caught alight while he was asleep inside on Sunday, July 1, at about 7.45am.
“We were awake in our house when a huge explosion occurred inside his room while he was asleep. We heard him crying for help. We tried to help, but we could not get into his room through the security gate because the flames were too high and very fast,” said Yende.
Yende said they were still in shock over the incident.
“We still do not know what might have caused the explosion. But when he went to sleep his heater was turned on. We suspect it might have caused the explosion,” said Yende.
Earlier in his life Nxumalo had been sent to prison. He came back rehabilitated and decided to work for the community of Kathorus.
He worked very closely with the community and assisted in substance abuse rehabilitation programmes.
He also worked with various community leaders and celebrities.
His good efforts saw him being nominated for the South African Men of the Year Awards 2017 in the Community Developer category and he made it into the top 10.
He leaves behind his father Patrick Nxumalo and mother Thoko Yende, his sister Nhlanhla Yende and brother Musa Nxumalo.
The details of his funeral have not been released yet.