Local school gets state-of-the-art library

Opening the library at Greenfield Primary School are from left: Musa Bila (principal), Liberty head of Corporate Social Investment (CSI) Nomaxabiso Matjila and Vuyelwa Masangwana (School Aid chairperson). The ceremony took place at the school premises on November 1.

More than 1460 learners from Greenfield Primary will enjoy this well equipped library for the first time when

4 380 books arrive this month.

Liberty has committed to funding four libraries in Gauteng through School Aid South Africa.

School Aid is a charity that refurbishes school libraries, fills their shelves with thousands of books and teaches a library assistant how to manage the facility to ensure it is sustainable.

The charity stocks the shelves with second-hand books that are in good condition and have been donated by schools and other contributors from the UK.

An astonishing 90 per cent of all government schools in South Africa lack a fully functioning library and School Aid is determined to resolve that.

The keys to the well equipped facilities were handed over to Musa Bila, the principal of the school, by Liberty head of Corporate Social Investment (CSI) Nomaxabiso Matjila and Vuyelwa Masangwana, the School Aid chairperson.

During her speech Matjila said Liberty’s aim is to empower kids to study.

“That is why we are here today – to hand over this facility to the school. Our partnership will not end today but will continue for the next three years. We will be assisting the school with the material they will need,” said Matjila.

She told Kathorus MAIL how they came to choose the school.

“We are working with School Aid. They have a long list of schools that are in need. They gave us the list and prioritised the schools that need help the most. This school was among the schools on top of the list,” she said.

Bila said reading is important for both teachers and learners.

“People gain knowledge by reading and knowledge is power. It means Liberty and School Aid have given teachers and learners the power to change their futures,” said Bila.

He said the library will make knowledge accessible as it will be open even in the afternoon.

Bila added that as part of the three-year agreement they signed with Liberty, 70 per cent of the librarian’s salary will be paid by Liberty while the school will pay the remaining 30 per cent in the first year.

“During the second year, Liberty will pay 60 per cent and the school will pay 40 percent. In the last year of our agreement we will pay 50/50 until the time when we will be paying 100 per cent,” said Bila

A Grade Seven learner, Itebohang Matlala (13), who wants to be a doctor when she grows up, said learners are excited.

“This is where I am going to get knowledge that will equip me to be what I want to be, namely a doctor. The library is going to change our lives in many ways,” said Matlala.

She thanked Liberty for giving them the gift of knowledge.

Aaron Damane

Latest News



Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

Alberton Record
Comaro Chronicle
Kathorus Mail
Southern Courier

Your details:

Your friends: